July 11, 2006

Riding the Fence

Where’s Joseph when you need him? I speak of Joseph of the ‘coat of many colors fame’ who could interrupt dreams and visions. The other day while on a drive I passed a row of seven ravens, setting on seven consecutive fence posts, all facing the same direction. The posts were each about 20 feet apart, putting 120 feet distance between the first bird and the last bird. Surely Joseph would have been able to uncover some symbolic significance. Left to my own imagination I decided that these birds were just flat riding the fence. Now, if I can just figure out why they made it a group activity…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Let me help a bit with this interpretation. Ravens are usually symbolic of death or its trappings. Seven is usually the number for God and His perfection. It was pointed out in Genesis, just preceding the flood account, that God's Spirit would not strive with man forever, but man's years would be limited to 120. Ohhh, O--M--I--N--O--U--S! I truly wish it had been somebody else who had seen that!
----But then again, it just may have been indicating that you have the full 120 to do before you can go home! I don't know which is worse, Gail. But I do know that if these ravens had been perching over seven dead skunks, each at the foot of a fence post, we would really have something to talk about, from a distance.