July 26, 2006

Where do I RSVP?

A middle age couple who left our community years ago recently returned ‘home’ to retire. After Sunday School the wife approached me asking how to place membership in the church. “There’s no invitation at the end of the service for people to go forward, so how do we go about joining the church?” Would you believe that I all I could do was suggest she call the church office on Monday? In our ‘old traditional’ environment, the worship service always ended with an invitation to accept Christ, to place membership or to ask for special needs and prayer. Without an invitation, I honestly don’t have a clue as to how people place membership with the congregation. I suppose I really should check…maybe membership is one of those things that’s no longer needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I can personally assure you that membership is definitely needed! Something must be there for the yanking if someone decides to dive off board from the direction the elders have chosen for the church. You would think that the elders would be more conscientious in connecting the chains.
----I just realized, I have not emotionally missed the call to accept the Lord at the end of the service! I was always anoyed by it, because to me, by being there every week, it sounded like nagging. In my mind I would always go, "I have! I have!" This shows what the centerdness of my nature has been. I now repent! I am sorry! I now miss it! I miss it!