July 14, 2006

What Line?

I recently watch the 1989 movie Lonesome Dove and was struck by a scene where Gus McCrae (Robert Duvall) was getting ready to hang his friend Jake Spoon (Robert Urich). Jake had taken up with a group of thieves and murderers and Gus was going to administer justice to the whole lot of them. In disappointment Gus said, “Jake, you crossed the line.” Pleading for his life in a child like manner Jake says, “But Gus…I didn’t see the line.” How often in the midst of suffering consequences of sin do we Christians try to justify ourselves by saying “But God…I didn’t see the line.”? I have had times where I think God has ‘moved the line’. I know, I know, God doesn’t move the line, but as I mature in the Word I discover new and different applications to situations. I love those ah-ha moments when I come across a Scripture that makes the line crystal clear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I have found those Aha moments to rather closely follow periods of humility (both self inflicted and...ahem...well...uh...knocked there). But I treasure them. I always love to find the line in a "new place." It means there has been growth. It means there will be better relationships with others. It means closer proximity to God. It means I will be handing myself slightly less embarassment.