October 04, 2006

Deeds on Trial

I was a bailiff for the courts in our Judicial District for a few years and part of my job required that I remain with the jury at all times, unless they were in the jury room. I heard testimony and re-lived crimes through the ‘eyes of evidence’ presented at trials. Even though I heard the same evidence as the jury, there were times I was surprised by the verdict they handed down when the trial was over. The time will come when the evidence of our work and deeds will be presented before the Lord. Paul tells us, “For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.” (1 Cor 3:11-15 NIV) Searching my heart, one question remains, will I really be surprised when the verdict is read following the trial of my works and deeds?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Any surprise that I will have on that Great Day will be concerning what of me may survive the trying fire. I am a harsh jury regarding my actions and attitudes. Consequently, I know of one thing that I will have to be able to say before His bench, "I am guilty. I have trusted Jesus for Your mercy, please, have mercy on me, a sinner."