October 26, 2006

Groan

We’re all familiar with the little ditto that goes, ‘God answers prayer by saying Yes, No or Wait’. I recently heard a new one that says, ‘God answers the prayers that He thinks needs answering’. It brings to mind a child asking mom if he can have a candy bar 30 minutes before supper. He already knows the answer, but that doesn’t stop him from asking. Rather than responding verbally, the look that crosses mom’s face says, ‘I can’t believe you just asked that question.’ The Apostle Paul tells us when we don’t know what we should pray for, “the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express”. No doubt some of my prayers give the Spirit cause to groan, ‘You’ve got to be kidding!’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----So that's what's wrong! I never thought of it that way.
----I recently heard Rick Warren say in a taped session for small group study on community that your brothers and sisters will know how to pray for you when you don't. That really got my goat, because the passage you refer to so quickly came to my mind. I felt like he was trying to horn his friends in on the Holy Spirit's place in my life. But honestly, I can see where he is coming from with that opinion. Sometimes friends do have a perspective on a situation I don't, and they would then know how to pray more than I would know. It just irked me a bit to hear the Holy Spirit left out of the equation.