October 11, 2006

For Wives Only

At my church the wives of prospective elder candidates are asked to complete a one page information sheet. Among the things the wives are asked, “Do you understand the mission, values, vision, and strategy of XYZ Church (name omitted)? Describe your level of support for them.” And also, “Are there any doctrinal or spiritual issues that you would like to address, things that keep you from functioning in harmony with the current leadership?” Understand, support and harmony with the current leadership. Oh, I get it ladies. Just get on board, be prepared to row in unison and don’t rock the boat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Char faced these questions. She spoke her mind about understanding and support of elders and the Word. That is why she is my wife. She is unabashedly real. So is the Word of God. That is why Jesus Christ is my Lord. He also is unabashedly real. I Corinthians 4:6 says, "I have applied all this to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brethren, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another." The leaders and many of their supporting members of the XYZ Church readily accept this questioneer's reach beyond what is written. They go beyond what is written in many other ways as well. They even had this pointed out to them and they rejected it, making a horrible fuss. They are not even trying to be unabashedly real. So Char and I are finding more genuine fellowship elsewhere.