October 25, 2006

Let's Hear Those Opinions

During my childhood school years I never raised my hand or volunteered to answer a question that the teacher asked. I was always afraid of giving the wrong answer and looking stupid. In church, I find adults also withhold answers because they ‘know what they believe’, they just don’t know where to find it. In the early church Apollos is a good example of one who had a “thorough knowledge of the Scriptures”. Yet, when Priscilla and Aquilla arrived on the scene, they “invited him to their home and explained the way of God more adequately” (Acts 18: 24-28, NIV). Later in First Corinthians we find Apollos mentioned in the same leadership company as Paul and Cephas. I appreciate and admire those who can quote chapter and verse, however God doesn’t require us to have that ability before we’re allowed to give an opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----The fact is, though, an opinion is just an opinion. Websters second definition of an opinion is, "...a belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge." Its first definition is, "...a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter." I never have respected opinions very much, especially my own. I like conclusions. They refer to the facts and circumstances of a matter more than they do the holder's personal position relative to the matter.
----When I am discussing issues, I like to hear scripture referred to. It does not have to be quotes, nor does it have to have chapter and verse reference. I just like to know the idea's attachment to what God has said about things. But I have learned that using scripture reference, even when you're right about the scripture's application to a situation, does not guarantee the correcting of the stuation. Most people are subjective in their thinking. They will admit truths then continue to do just the opposite. That is why we have opinion polls rather than conclusion polls or knowledge polls.