October 23, 2006

It's Your Turn

When I first started using a computer I expected to hit a key and have it respond immediately. If nothing happened, I’d push the key again. I’d have multiple windows open at one time and my husband would say, “Just wait a minute, give it time, its thinking.” I’m happy to report that I’ve learned to be more patient, but now I find myself waiting for the computer to do its job only to discover that it’s waiting on me to do something. Apparently I need to be more observant when it comes to all those little twitching icons. I sometimes have a similar problem in communicating with God. I’m thinking its God’s turn to respond and He’s telling me I still need to perform another function.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----The other day my brother asked me what a byte was. He seemed to understand well as I explained the basic on/off switch that comprises all digital information, and that combinations of eight, sixteen, thirty-two, or sixty-four on/off switches are a byte. That byte represents the first level of information to the computer and the user. A sixty gig hard drive stores sixty billion bytes. The retreival of any particular byte of information within that sixty billion byte storehouse happens in a moment of time measured in nano-seconds. A nano-second is a millionth of a second. A processing chip that can compare and decide billions of decisions between bytes of information per second is fed information through a secondary temporary store of information, called RAM - usually a gigabyte large. The processor maintains this temporary store of information itself, swapping it back and forth with the hard drive, while making decisions, and while talking through a secondary processor to any number of devices, such as a keyboard, mouse, console (the screen you look at), sound speakers, printers, scanners, game controls, etc., etc., etc. What is happening inside that computer box while you wait or perform functions gets very little thought, yet is so incredibly amazing.
----It is the same way with God. Even if we gave every last bit of our thought to what might be happening in God's place of existance while we interface with Him, we still would be giving next to no thought to it, because we know so nothing about it. When Paul was taken into the seventh heaven, he said he saw things that were not possible for man to speak. Most things there are not possible for man to comprehend. Yet God simplified Himself into a man to interface with us just as a computer simplifies itself into a set of recognizable images, sounds, and words on a screen to interface with us. Through His Spirit and the love between His children He maintains that interface. And He does it for our security, growth, and eventual inclusion into that place we now recognize as too incredible for human thought.