April 18, 2008

Heart Problems

Whether as a wife, friend or Sunday school teacher, I take my positions in life very seriously…sometimes too seriously. I don’t want to look back at a situation with regret, or have someone blame me for not doing all I could do. Actually I think there is a little bit of Pilate in me. When the crowd insisted on crucifying Jesus, Pilate washed his hands in front of them, “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!” (Matt 27:24 NIV) If my job performance were scrutinized by friends and family I want to be able to mentally wash my hands and say, ‘I am innocent. I’ve met my responsibility’. Actually, I’d like to be able to say the same thing when I stand before the Lord at judgment. However the Lord won’t be judging just my job performance. There’s a little matter of the heart…which I find much harder to control and not always so innocent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I am like you in that I take all my roles in life very seriously. But unlike you, at least what I perceive you expressed of yourself, I take mine seriously one role at a time. I suppose this is because I am so aware that my performance can be found insufficient, given enough scrutiny, that I focus my own scrutiny far too much upon my role of the moment. And still, I don’t get it perfectly right. Or even close to better than someone else may be able to get it. I am so thankful God wants me just because He knows I need Him, though I am not able to even fully realize that! So, when any of my works is found insufficient, I am not only able to say, but have said myself already, “Yes, the most of it is rubbish. But, behold, here is a tidbit that will serve purpose in the structure, and over there, I think, may be another. And even though by just a tidbit, even though I am sure I could have done better, at least I did some. And the structure is a couple tidbits more complete. Now, off to my next role.” The problem with this attitude is that my hands don’t get washed as much. I think there will be some big scrubbin’ done on That Day.

Love you all,
Steve Corey