April 28, 2008

Praise of Men

When a local preacher told his congregation that he was incorporating some of his internet reading into his sermons, his messages began leaning toward praise of men. A past member of this congregation said, “I don’t know what he was doing. I guess he was putting in some New Age stuff.” Paraphrasing, the preacher has said, “We need to bring Jesus down to our level and not hold him up so high on a pedestal. People on earth are doing all the work, and they deserve some of the credit. Why should God get all the praise? We deserve some praise.” Whoa! It’s my understanding that this once healthy congregation has now dwindled to just a few people. Please don’t get me wrong, I know this is a situation that we all grieve over. However, I’m just trying to imagine sitting through a ‘praise of men’ sermon with only a couple of families in attendance. What is he going to do when there is no one left in the audience to praise? --Gail

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I suppose, when his congregation has gone away to the last man, leaving him the only man in the room, he then will praise the only man he probably had in mind for praise to begin with: himself.

Steve Corey