April 17, 2008

You Need Me

I once knew a popular minister who would, on occasion, threaten to resign if he didn’t get what he wanted. He threatened one too many times and finally, much to his surprise, the elders accepted his resignation. His threats were a mixture of ego, blackmail and intimidation. We can ignore this type of attitude in the world, but in the church it’s unacceptable. To me it sounds remarkably like the hand saying to the foot, ‘I don’t need you…but you need me’. It would be easy to point the finger of egotism solely at the minister. However, I think when elders and congregations are so desperate to appease their ‘popular’ ministers, they too may have an ego problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----- That’s a trick I am sure we would all like some preacher’s to learn! If, of course, the elders would play that humble end game. I think it is remarkable that, as you indicated, this behavior is unacceptable in the church, yet often we find it in the church behind the pulpit, and or upon the elder’s roost. It is simply self absorption. And self absorption is what the war is all about. Talk about frattin’ with the enemy!


Steve Corey