April 07, 2008

In Defense

Recently a minister gave a nice tribute to his father in recognition of his dad’s Birthday. Woven in the tribute however, were some not so subtle messages of his father’s mistreatment by society. According to the son, his dad has not “become bitter and calloused” as others in the same position would have been. I’ve heard many similar first hand accounts from preacher’s kids who’ve perceived that their godly fathers were mistreated and unappreciated while in service to the Lord. In most of these testimonies the parent [preacher, elder and deacon] isn’t the one who’s bitter, calloused and holding a grudge…it’s often the children retelling the stories who are. It’s hard for us to keep quiet when we think our parent has been mistreated and abused when serving the Lord…just ask my kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I read your blog today, and an exact name and face came to my mind. But of course, I will not name him to your readers so that he may remain faceless. Then as I read your next blog, "Exposed to the Light," Mr. NamelessFaceless was right back in my mind. It would seem to me he might have responded to his daddy's woes and tribulations with increasing sensitivity towards the thoughts and feelings of others. It would seem to me he might have chosen humility. But no! He went shoulder to shoulder with the other vultures feeding upon the belly of the body grumbling in dark corners of the church. And of the ones who spoke up and shouted aloud rather than just grumbling, he lied through his nameless faceless teeth to the whole church! And he feels sorry for his da da. I could relate to his sorrows, and even have some respect for him, if he could feel a bit of pity for those who have become stains on the bottoms of his shoes. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe he has realized the path he dutifully walked for the Lord was paved with the feelings of those grumbling in the dark corners of the church. But he has not apologized for his lies. They will find him without need of name or face.

Steve Corey