October 22, 2008

Captivity

My friend John, a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, passed away in 2007 at the age of 84. Recently I reminisced with John’s widow about his love for politics and we both agreed that if he hadn’t already gone to be with the Lord this current election would have sent him to the grave. Regardless of which way this election goes, it’s pretty much assured that those from the losing political party will feel like God has just sent them into captivity. But it’s OK, “He who has an ear, let him hear. If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go…This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.” (Rev 13:9-10 NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Captivity is a very relative term. In many ways I feel I am in the captivity of my present circumstances: my career, the limited extent of my assets, even by the knowledge I lack, and certainly by the skills I lack. I am gladly in the captivity of my wife. And I do feel an ever growing captivity to an ever increasing tyrannical tendency within government. But I am so free because I am not in the captivity of that government’s correctional system, nor am I in the captivity of a quadriplegic body. I am overjoyed to be in the captivity of God’s love, and above all else, I fear being in the captivity of deception. I am sure that one side or the other of this current campaign is more in captivity of deception. And I am sure that both sides are at least somewhat in it.
-----But the events of Revelation bring an entirely new dimension to the concept. I believe the verse you quoted speaks two different messages to God‘s saints at that time. Most important, I believe, is that temporally times are going to become excruciating for His people. The events God has ordained for the purpose of bringing about the end of sin include some captivity of His holy people by wicked people. And that calls for particular endurance. It will be easier to endure knowing it is His plan. Less important is that ultimately others who are not God’s people are to go into eternal captivity, and into captivity they will go! I believe the knowledge of this truth, also, partially increases our endurance to go into captivity for the short time. In regard to captivity, our turn to go there comes first, and will end. Their turn comes second and will never end. So, Barrack, bring it on! McCain! Heh, heh. My friends. Heh. Thought you could sneak it from across the isle, heh, heh. Well, my friends have been keeping a close eye on you, too, and as around and around the mulberry tree you two go, we notice you ain’t the monkey.

Love,
Steve Corey