October 01, 2008

Searching for Nourishment

It’s amazing how far tree roots will travel to find their way into the fertilizing properties of the nearest sewer line. There was a time when, within the confines of our individual churches, the search for spiritual nourishment led us to a particular pastor, Sunday School teacher or Bible study leader. It appears to me that the religious landscape has changed. Not only are folks looking for nourishment outside their own church, but they are unhindered in telling others about what they are finding. It sort of reminds me of the woman at the well who, recognizing the possibility that Jesus was the Christ went back to fellow townspeople and told them about what she discovered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Hopefully, what you have noticed is a growing validation that church extends far beyond the four walls of “the one where I go“. From as long ago as when I first went to church I never wondered what made “my church” more church than “your church” as much as I wondered what might make such an idea valid. I hear the term “church hopper” scornfully applied to those whom I envy. For to me, they’re not church hopping, they are fellowshipping with more of the body than I am. Boohooohoooo. I wanna too.
But Char is adamant about Rachel and Erin being located at a church with a vibrant youth program, and I can’t disagree with that. Unfortunately, the church we are at plays a little looser with the Word than what makes me comfortable, but it is their play, not mine. For I think the Bible, with which I try to play tightly, calls us to all play loose enough with each other that “different” does not become significant. Therefore, “your church” can be part of “my church”, at least by the way I play. The pasture is a lot bigger than we are led to feel.

Love,
Steve Corey