October 03, 2008

In the Mood

I was coming out of the fitness center as a woman I’m acquainted with was going in. In greeting I asked her how she was doing and unenthusiastically she said, “I’m trying to get in the mood [to exercise].” I can identify. There are times when I feel the same way about some of our brotherly-love responsibilities. Have you noticed that the do-unto-others command gives no consideration as to whether or not we are in the mood? I suppose, like Paul, there are times that we all have to “beat our body and make it a slave’ so that we won’t be disqualified from the prize. (1 Cor 9:27)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I have to bring forth a bit of confession. My life has been, by my own fault, rather difficult. I have often found the secluded corner to be a safe place to recuperate from the weight of the world I keep dropping on my feet. And as I meditate, contemplate, think, imagine, and emote there, eventually scripture and understanding will come together in a manner that will settle an issue for me. I’ve become fairly adept at figuring out my own difficulties. I now use my corner much less for stewing and much more for pondering, and I am there quite often. But when my neighbor approaches it with cures for my ailments, I must catch myself from feeling him as an intruder.
-----Being stated then that I would not have others to intrude upon my difficulties, it becomes confusing for me to step out with assistance for my neighbor, doing unto him what I would rather not be done unto me. Of course, I don’t always desire to be left alone with my struggles. There are those situations that I genuinely want some help. So now when I look at my neighbor to do unto him, I am really confused: is he going to want my help or my non-intrusion? Oh my! It reminds me of a cartoon showing a wife sick in bed. Her husband was standing just inside the bedroom door, having a bewildered expression, saying, “Honey, I didn’t know if you wanted me to do the dishes or not. So I didn’t.” I reflect back on so many situations in my life where I had contemplated helping rather than helping, and I see that cartoon. Shame, shame, Stupid Steve.
-----Oh, well. I think the Lord gets a chuckle from our frailties while He waits for us to get well.

Love,
Steve Corey