October 02, 2008

Indignant

I’m getting more and more tweaked about modern Bible translations. In a book on how to choose a Bible the author lists the reading level of some versions this way: fifth grade level, CEV and The Message; sixth grade level, NLT; seventh grade level, NIV, NKJV, NRSV; tenth grade, NASB; twelfth grade, KJV. Now I realize that part of the motivation for putting the text in contemporary language is an attempt to entice those outside the church to read Scripture. But the truth is that Scripture was meant for believers, those inside the church. You certainly wouldn’t catch national magazines and newspapers risk losing educated subscribers by lowering the reading level to attract new readers. For many years my Sword of choice has been the NIV. While I’m not frothing at the bit to return to my old King James Version, neither do I want to remain solely with a translation that doesn’t move me beyond the seventh grade reading level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somewhere along the line, the ability of the Holy Spirit to illuminate His truth into our hearts seems to have been forgotten. I was raised with the KJV, and though my own understanding wasn't always perfect, and the understanding of those teaching me wasn't always correct (according to the newer translations, anyway) I somehow managed to gain an understanding of many 'hard' passages without having anyone teach me. And I found that my understanding was exactly on track with the teachings of most Bible-believing, Bible-following Christians. How could that happen? The Bible itself tells us how - the Holy Spirit is the one who leads us into all truth. I've had my young elementary age children explain a truth of Scripture that was way beyond their reading level. The Spirit isn't bound by earthly inabilities - but maybe by earthly unwillingness and unbelief.
For Him,
Arlene