October 28, 2008

Friends Forever

I recently attended a drug task force symposium on methamphetamine. Discussing the intervention process, one speaker said, “We’re taking away their best friend. We need to replace that [lost friendship] with good living, eating and resting.” It seems to me that something similar could be said about all of us before we became believers. When we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, God begins taking away our best friend –the sinful nature…and replacing it with our New Best Friend, the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Have you ever noticed how some old friends just keep hanging around? Worse yet, sometimes it is hard to tell them to go away. Maybe it is because they were very fun. Harder still, some of them actually had a facet or two that was beneficial to even our new life.
-----When I was faced with prying from my life the bad habits and mental misgivings that had caused in me a manic depressive cycle, I lamented loosing the benefits of these few good facets within some bad friends. Many brethren would disagree with me, but I never agreed to forsake the baby in the bath water. I realized that I would need to become very discerning about my misbehaviors, surgically trimming from them what was bad like shaving the moldy spots off a lump of cheese.
-----So I have always been careful to remove the baby and cuddle it while tossing the water. Good as this may seem, its inherent problem is that the baby is always still wet.

Love,
Steve Corey