December 09, 2008

Anticipation

In the city Holiday Parade of Lights last weekend our church had its début float. One of our members, who just turned 91, was determined to watch the parade and see our entry. Settling in to watch the festivities Sylvia misjudged the curb on the street and fell, breaking her hip. Family members helped seat her into her walker, but she wouldn’t let them call the ambulance. Sylvia had come to see the parade and she was going to see it, besides, “…if I don’t move, it doesn’t hurt.” An hour and forty-five minutes later the parade was over and Sylvia was ready to call the EMT’s. With such determination I’m reminded of both Simeon and Anna who, despite their age, waited and served in the temple at Jerusalem in anticipation of “the Lord’s Christ”. (Luke 2:25-40)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Sylvia has more chutzpah than I have. Like she sat by the road watching the parade, in my earlier years I was sure I wanted to live a long life to see how the Lord deals with the idiocy happening in our times. But things are getting so deceitful, and the people are getting so gullible, I’m no longer sure I want to wait out this parade.

Love,
Steve Corey