December 04, 2008

Ascending and Descending

Over the Thanksgiving holidays our local hot air balloonists were offering free rides to veterans, but the weather was not cooperating. For three mornings in a row the pilots and crew stood around visiting and drinking coffee while trying to decide whether or not they could fly. Rather than stick a wet finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing, one morning they sent up a PIBAL, a small black pilot balloon. All eyes were on the PIBAL and the higher it climbed, the further everyone’s heads tilted backwards. It reminded me of Jesus being taken up into heaven right before the eyes of the disciples. They looked intently as He was going until a cloud his Him from their sight. Two men dressed in white suddenly appeared. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:11 NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I’ve always loved clouds. They covered Mt. Sinai when Moses ascended it. God descended in clouds to meet with Ezekiel. The Lord ascended into the clouds and will return again in the clouds. They are ominous because they can come with destructive weather, and if your life is lived on the wrong side of the fence, they are even more ominous. But I live my life looking to the Lord, so when I see clouds I understand I must make sure my stuff is sheltered from the wind and rain, but I am reminded of the shelter from sin and error He will soon bring for my soul.

Love,
Steve Corey