December 10, 2008

He's Already Left the Building

I hate it when I’ve finished a conversation and walk out of the room, only to hear the other person start talking again. I then have to turn around, go back and ask them to repeat what they said. It’s irritating. Part of me is beginning to say, ‘Just keep on walking’, while another part suggests, ‘That would be rude’. I’ve tried to figure out what’s wrong. Do I have so many things on my mind that I’m moving too fast to get on to the next item, or is the other person just unaware that I’ve left the room? On a Spiritual level, I suppose it’s possible to do the same thing to the Spirit. With all the busyness of life going on, I may very well be leaving the building before He’s done talking to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I think everyone shares that irritation over being called back into a conversation we presumed was finished. Is the irritation right? Why is the listener tagged as rude just because the talker wishes to speak? The listener is also an individual having responsibilities and ambition just as the talker is. But the listener is always the rude one when the talker fails to gain an audience. I believe the tie on the rude tag attaches better to who breached the rules of opportunity. Not every situation is an opportune time to say something. Neither is the middle of a conversation an opportune time to leave the room.
-----I also believe the Holy Spirit understands this principle of etiquette. Of course, there are nuances of authority and discipline involved with the Spirit that are not involved in the ordinary conversation. A good daddy will override his child’s other opportunities when that child needs to be listening. But he will also respect his child’s other opportunities when his message is merely casual. Moreover, and I may be wrong about this, but I think the Spirit does much speaking to us through our opportunities. I don’t listen for words in my mind’s ear for His speaking as much as I search the Word and examine opportunities. So if I were leaving the building in answer to a proper opportunity, I would not worry about the Spirit interrupting Himself.

Love,
Steve Corey