December 31, 2008

Mothers and Daughters

A few years ago my daughter gave me a coffee mug for my birthday. The mug depicted a caricature of a woman devoid of facial expression with the caption, “IT’S OFFICIAL…I’ve become my mother.” I wasn’t laughing. I’ve worked hard trying not to be like my mother. It’s not that my mom isn’t a good person, she just has a few personality traits that I don’t want to emulate. I have to admit that I’ve never used the mug…probably because it reminds that in some ways I am in fact like my mother. It wasn’t until recently that I learned the sentiment on the cup was meant as a compliment. Leslie was implying she has become like me. In the spiritual realm we too take on the characteristics of our parent. Actually, there is no greater compliment than to say, It’s Official…I’ve become like Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----I believe you’ve touched upon the third implication of , “…I’ve become my mother.” I, too, have spent most of my years trying to detach from my Dad’s bad habits I’ve learned, as well as, trying to emulate his good ones. In this way I try not to become my “bad Dad,” and I try to become my “good Dad.” But within these very efforts is the fact that I must make conscious and willful direction of my own personal sovereignty and autonomy. Being an adult requires self-control, and self-control requires being a parent to yourself. Everyday I try to become more my dad so I can better exercise this fruit of the Spirit.

Love you all,
Steve Corey