December 11, 2008

I Think...

Recently my husband told our three year-old granddaughter, “I think you need to given me a hug.” Quietly and thoughtfully Lydia said, “No, I don’t think we need to do that.” Obviously Bill’s mistake was in giving her an option to think about it. Have you ever noticed that there is nowhere in Scripture (to my recollection) where God asks us what we think? Occasionally Jesus asked the disciples what they were thinking, not because He wanted their opinion, but to expose the thoughts running around in their heads. I’m wondering how our conversation would change if we were to replace the phrase ‘I think’ with ‘God thinks…’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
I think I know what you mean. God made His absoluteness quite clear to Job, but through the Psalmist He tells man to come reason with Him. Jesus tells us He is the only way to approach God, but through Paul he tells us no one sees with complete clarity, so we must each be convinced about things in our own minds. The Bible does not tell us every matter of life in complete detail; it tells us the essentials in absoluteness. We are not given the position to think up the essentials, but we are given the responsibility to think about them. Although your granddaughter may have been accurate for that moment, essentially Bill was correct; sooner or later a hug will have to be.

Love,
Steve