December 05, 2008

Fading Glory

With all the moisture in the air we are seeing some terrific sunrises and sunsets. Clouds of orange and mauve ripple like waves across an ocean of blue. Unlike fall leaves changing color, the moving sun allows only moments to appreciate the brilliance of the clouds before they abruptly turn grey. I think I can understand why Moses put a veil over his face (2 Cor 3:13; Ex 34:34) both for the people...and possibly for himself. It’s a real let-down to watch God’s radiance go so quickly from glorious to ordinary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----An interesting thought crossed my mind Saturday evening. I enjoy watching the color fade from the clouds as the sun sets further below the horizon. But shortly after the color had left the clouds, a small patch of clouds in the middle of the sky had become a faint red-orange again. Searching through what I know about angles, dusty air, and the lit undersides of the clouds, I realized I was looking at a bank of clouds higher than the now gray ones. I thought it was a bit amusing that you can gauge the clouds to be higher or lower by how long after the sun has set they become lit, not that there is much utility in it, but that there is much utility in pondering after the glory has faded.

Love,
Steve Corey