November 19, 2008

Comb-Over

Awhile back I attend a meeting and was seated behind a man who tried to cover his bald head by wearing his hair in a comb-over. Now this wasn’t your normal comb-over. Rather than combing long hair from one side of the head to the other, this comb-over started from the nape of the neck and swept up and over to his forehead. His sparse hair must have been over seven inches long and I couldn’t help but think what the coiffure would like in the wind or the rain. I felt sorry for the man, not because he was bald, but because he is like so many of us. Often our effort to comb-over imperfections just draws more attention to the problem…and to our vanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----My balding head frustrates my wife some, but it is fine with me. Old age happens, with all its wrinkles and such. So does sin. I am much more bothered by it. I even have my own set of comb-over techniques. And that bothers me, too. I guess, at the root these efforts to keep my failures from my brethren’s eyes is a sense of privacy. I feel like they are for my Lord to see, since He will need to deal with me concerning them, but not for my brother to see. That is where the new life and a sense of privacy are not congruent. For when my brother sees the details of my idiocy, I become accountable to him. A good benefit of confession. But his conscience becomes a factor when he sees me continuing to do things he would never do. He is either going to wonder why he should not do the same or be tempted to judge me for what I do. So the mess spreads to others if it is in their sight and not cleaned up. Totaling all this up reveals a problem with repentance. Repentance is important, because for the sake of not seriously doing it, fellowship becomes diminished as we recede into privacy. And I hate that prospect. In my own broken way, then, my favorite comb-over technique gets me half way to the goal and stops dead. I refuse to actually comb the hair over to look like I have plenty. I just put on this ridiculous looking beanie, maybe even complete with propeller, but certainly having bold lettering that reads: BE SURE ITS BALD UNDER HERE, BUT YOU AIN’T GUNNA SEE IT!

Love,
Steve Corey