November 25, 2008

Reasonings

The only time in my life when I’ve thrown caution to the wind with dieting was when I was pregnant. I decided that I had a legitimate and justifiable nine-month excuse to indulge. After all, I was eating for two, no amount of calorie counting was gong to bring back my waistline and everyone expected me to gain weight. We see a similar reasoning in the parable of the Great Banquet “…I have just bought a field …I just bought five yolk of oxen …I just got married.” (Luke 14:15-20) Sometimes friends and family accept our lame excuses, but we’re foolish if we think the Lord is going to buy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----I must meet 6 major deadlines each year in my line of business. Every one of them is stressful. And after meeting each one of them, I have headed for the nearest deli to bring back to the office a bit of celebratory banqueting for myself. I don’t understand why these folks would look for excuses to miss a great banquet. I would be looking for excuses why my new field or oxen need not be seen for a week, or how I could possibly weasel my new wife into the banquet. No way I would miss the banquet (the big ones in those days lasted a week.) However their logic must have run, I guess one principle of this parable (aside from its obvious reference to Israel’s rejection of Him) is that we often count our goof-ball busyness more highly than the blessings the Lord has for us when we seek His pleasure.

Love,
Steve Corey