November 13, 2008

Salt of the Earth

I’ve heard it’s disrespectful to the hostess to salt your food before you’ve even tasted it. Most of those in my family are salt-a-holics and unless the cook warns us that a particular dish is salty, we salt before we eat. One time while at my mother-in-law’s for dinner we kept passing the salt shaker back and forth and still the food was blah. Almost apologetically I commented that I didn’t think I’ve ever used so much salt. “Oh,” she said, “I’m using a salt-substitute now.” I know that Jesus tells us we are the salt of the earth (Matt 5:13), but I think I may have encountered a few salt-substitutes in the church shaker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----I think you have aptly demonstrated the usefulness of salt-substitutes. A church I attended a few years ago was emptied of its salt and filled with substitute. Until that time, I had done a lot of Bible study about the nature of the new life as it pertained to the individual believer. But when I found the new diet being offered by the church leaders to be laden with salt-substitute, I too began groping for the salt shaker. My Bible study soon shifted to the nature of the new life among believers. I learned things about fellowship I never expected to know. I grew in ways I never expected to grow. So, if you ever hear me express a great deal of gratitude for the leaders of that substitute-salted church, you now know why.

Love,
Steve Corey