November 12, 2008

White Knuckling It

Regardless of the travel warnings, the first winter storm of the year always catches motorists off guard. On a trip to Denver last week vehicles were stuck in snow banks, overturned in ditches, and jack-knifed in the middle of the road. In real-time one small car going in the opposite direction lost traction and fishtailed into my lane of traffic. The Fed-Ex delivery truck in front of me clipped his rear quarter-panel sending him through the air and over an embankment. As cars were stopping to help, the situation had all the makings of an impromptu demolition derby, so I just dodged the debris and continued on my way. Going over Monarch Pass the visibility was so bad that even though I was snuggled up to the bumper of a semi-truck, there were times I couldn’t see him or his hazard lights. Once out of the storm I loosened my grip on the steering wheel and got the circulation back into my fingers. There’s no need to tell you that I talked at length with God…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Gee! Your story sounds like a great analogy of life in these times of political and cultural turmoil. Grab that steering wheel (the Bible) and hold on tight with white knuckles! All we can really do is dodge the debris and continue on our way while talking to God.

Love,
Steve Corey