November 26, 2008

Stubborn Stains

A number of years ago I was shaking my liquid make-up with my finger over the bottle opening when it slipped out of my hand and splattered on the carpet. I can’t count the number of times I’ve tried to get the stain out, only to give up in defeat and tell myself I’ll just have to live with it. Last week I tried a new carpet cleaner. After the application there was a slight improvement, but overall the make-up still refused to give up its hold on the fibers. It sort of reminds me of some of the stubborn sins in our lives. Even when we feel defeated and decide that we’ll just have to live with the stain, Scripture comes along with a new formula for us to try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Not all stains can be removed. Jesus makes the way for our sins to be forgiven, and God forgives them. In that manner of speaking, our sins are removed. But the stain of sin is unlike the stain of your make-up. Your make-up is the stain, molecules trapped in the microscopic cracks of the carpet fibers. The make-up itself can not be removed. God can and does remove our sins. But the circumstances produced by the sin, the consequences of it, are the stain. So, although the sin can be removed, some of its resulting circumstances do not go away, broken families, crippled bodies, devastated finances, etc. They can only be incorporated into new understanding.

Love,
Steve Corey