November 10, 2008

Free at Last

I’ve mentioned before that over the years all my volunteer hours were given to the church, or occasionally to some other faith based endeavor. I look back with a certain amount of satisfaction knowing I’ve contributed to the Kingdom and the strengthening of the church. However, in recent months I’ve been serving in the world of politics and I’m no longer surrounded by fellow believers. While I miss the comfort and security of working with those of like precious faith, I think the Holy Spirit within me has a different perspective. All these years, rather than taking Spirit out into the world, I’ve kept Him confined to serving in the church. I can just imagine Him saying, “Free at last, Free at last…”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Amen! I have lived a life quite opposite. What little service and volunteer effort I have done has usually not been in the church or church related organizations. My generosity has been directed to the people around me more than to the church. I have always felt somewhat guilty concerning this. Heading in the other direction, maybe I’ll cross paths with you to set the Spirit free.

Love,
Steve Corey