August 21, 2012

Advice Columnist

With the tagline “Let her help”, our local newspaper is launching an advice column and encouraging readers to submit their questions to the author. I suspect that because syndicated advice columnists Dear Abby and Ann Landers are expensive to contract with, the proposed new column is a cost saving measure and the publisher is hoping that their readership will embrace an unknown author. The newspaper has given us the name of the author, but they failed to offer any credentials, qualifications or background information. I was reminded of Job’s friend Bildad who also thought himself qualified to give advice. Sarcastically Job critiqued his friend’s advice, “What advice you have offered to one without wisdom! And what great insight you have displayed!” (Job 26:3 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I guess everyone has to start somewhere somehow. I think it might be easier if they took your advice and introduced the author with some background. Then it might be even easier still if that background had in it some major victory or wise accomplishment or some continuous and impressive activity like having daily crumpets with Lord Monckton. But as it is, this author will have to succeed on being really good. I wish I had known the paper was looking for an advise hawker. I’ve often thought I’d like to take Dear Abby’s place and she could take a feather in her nose. Wouldn’t that tickle her?

Love you all,
Steve Corey