August 28, 2012

Peculiar People

I visited with a woman last Sunday whom I thought was a first time visitor, but later discovered she had been has been worshipping with us throughout the summer. I learned that she wintered in Arizona and summered in Colorado and was hoping to have dual membership so that she could have a home church in both locations. However, she did preface her membership desires by saying that she was reserved and not outgoing when it comes to joining activities. After worship I learned that another couple who has worshiped with us for a couple of years was pulling their membership because the church was not charismatic enough. Their leaning was more toward talking in tongues. We believers are a strange lot. “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.” (1 Peter 2:9 KJV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----And I was perplexed when XYZ Church dismembered me (took my name off their membership roll.) Certainly not perplexed that I was dismembered by them, but rather that my name had ever been on the roll to begin with. And that not being because it was on XYZ Church’s roll, but that it was on any church’s roll. My name is in the Book of Life, at least that is at the core of my desires. I call upon the name of Jesus Christ from my core desires. He promised. So, I am a member of His church along with all others who call upon Him from a sincere heart. It seems real to me that since He is the head of the church and keeps the Book of Life in heaven, then to His church is as much as I need belonging and in His Book is as much as I need recorded. So into whatever group of believers I enter I feel at home, not because any of us are home, but because His Spirit has taken up home in each whom He has.
-----So then, I say with Paul, “Who [am I] to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls...One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind.” (Rom 14:4a,5) If the charismatic brother babbles a bit, he does it unto the Lord. If I feel it is superfluous or anything else, then, “The faith that [I] have, [I] keep between [myself] and God.” (Rom 14:22) It is my part in doing what makes for peace and mutual upbuilding so that any church can be His church. Then the charismatic brother doesn’t need to leave unless he needs fellowship amongst more who understand the way he does. If he leaves he still attends my church, because my church is His church. And His church is all of the church.
-----I see us each being in a place doing a thing only each knows to do. And that is what makes us a peculiar people showing forth His praises. We are a holy nation in that as priests we seek to please each his neighbor (Rom 15:2), looking not only upon our own interests but also upon the interests of those around us. This is part of being made in His image, because it is His nature to do good to all and bring joy to everyone. I know people consider me a visitor when I am in “their” church, and I don’t mean to be smarmy or arrogant or anything, but I always feel I am still right there in our church because everywhere is His people for doing good to (Gal 6:10.)



Love you all,
Steve Corey