August 09, 2012

Deep Cleaning

I’m working on having a yard sale in a couple of weeks and when the task starts looking overwhelming I start procrastinating.  I’d really like to have my whole house cleaned out all at once, but there are times when I just don’t want to go through one more closet or one more cupboard. Family members are gently and sometimes not so gently, encouraging me to keep going. At the moment, rather than cleaning out a whole room, my tendency seems to be to clean a little in this room and then a little in that room. Consequently no one room is completely finished. I’m wondering if I do the same thing when I’m trying to get rid of the sinful clutter in my heart. When I look at the sin I’ve piled up in the corners of my heart, it too can be so overwhelming that I just want to do a little picking up here and there and then leave the rest of it for another cleaning day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Me, too.

Although my style is more--Dig in, then run screaming from the room.

I'm so glad that God is willing to gently draw us back...and not so gently, if needed. :}

Deb

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----How can you get to the bottom of your heart? And even if there is a way you can, where is that bottom? So if you can’t get to the bottom which you don’t know, how can you clean your heart of all its sin? And if you could, would Christ’s sacrifice become superfluous? We are instructed to rid our hearts of sin and taught that we can not. Sure that is fair! The new life is a process, not a completion. That process involves the desire to rid the heart of sin, therefore effort is made such that we are found often in this room, then that one, then the other, cleaning like our hearts desire. It is a good thing we are not relegated to one particular room of the heart until it is totally and thoroughly clean. We would never again enter any other room of the heart because we can not thoroughly clean even any one part of it. God completes the process Himself having observed the efforts we invest from our desires as sort of a prayer spoken through action. While many hard to bear folks think He has completely cleansed them now, we are not cleaned up to perfection until or mortal bodies have put on immortality.

Love you all,
Steve Corey