August 10, 2012

In Flight Training

The automatic pilot in an Alaska Airlines airplane malfunctioned causing the cabin to lose pressure. In his analysis, one expert said, “When the automatic pilot fails, the pilot needs to know how to fly the plane.” No argument with me on that one. The concept did however cause me to think about those who are mature in the faith and so firmly planted in the Word that, spiritually speaking, we are often flying on automatic pilot. Personally speaking it’s a real shock when the Lord switches me to manual to test me and see if I really know how to fly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reading about that. :)

Hezekiah experienced a switch from aud to manual, and, sadly, failed. the Scripture stated that God lifted His hand to see what was truly in Hezekiah's heart. (Isaiah, I forget the chapter and verse)

Apparently, along with his gratitude towards God for his many blessings, he also had a bit of pride. That caused him to show "everything" he had to the Babylonian envoy (Theone that came to see him after hearing of his illness and healing). And that resulted in the capture of his kingdom.

That whole gratitude/pride mix just bewilders me. Especially when I find it in myself. :} But that is a subject of a different post, isn't it?

Deb

Steve Corey said...

Deb;

-----What an insightful correlation! Thank you for pointing that out.

Steve