August 07, 2012

Bad Badminton

It’s reported from the 2012 Olympics that badminton teams from South Korea, China and Indonesia have been caught deliberately losing their matches so they can gain a more favorable quarter final draw. My righteous indignation kicked in until I recognized that sometime we believers are also guilty of throwing our spiritual matches. “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” (I Cor 9:21 NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I caught that story re: the Olympics, too. At first, it puzzled me. How could you benefit from losing, I wondered. Eventually, I figured out what was up.

If I had actually followed that sort, that info was probably readily apparent--much like, if we really followed Jesus, we'd see a lot clearer, too. :}

But back to the Olympics and our walk. If teams feel that they have to perform below their capability to get a fairer result, then something is wrong with the system
as it is set up.

As I write that, tho, I was hit by an unexpected thought. :o WE have to lose to win, too. :) We are called to lose our life, to save it.

Only, in our case, it is not cheating and the system is just fine. Jesus paid the entire price, fair and square. :D

Laying it down. Just like I'm supposed to.

Deb