May 23, 2018

Credited To You


I have a Facebook friend who, for his Birthday, ask people to donate in his name to a charity of his choice. I had to laugh. I know he is well intentioned, but this is a Facebook friend. He is not someone whose Birthday I’ve ever celebrated before, much less ever gifted with a present. I’m now wondering to whom the gift-giving is credited. Is it credited to the one who gave the gift, or to the one who requested the gift be given?  I’m contemplating the Philippians who sent Paul aid again and again. Paul thanked them for their previous gifts, “Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account…” The gifts you sent, “…are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4:17-18b, 19 NIV).


No comments: