May 04, 2018

Stop Thinking


Today’s speakers (preachers, newscasters, interviewees, commentators, etc.) continue to over season their message with, “I think…”, and “I believe…” Whether a speaker is delivering the news or a sermon, they need to be clear about whether their statements are based on fact, or simply their own personal opinion. Recently a pastor said, “I believe God keeps His promises…I think we neglect repentance…Without the Holy Spirit I don’t think we would be here.” I’m not sure if the pastor was trying to soften the message or endear himself to listeners. However, he would have stood on a firmer foundation had he said, “God keeps his promises. We neglect repentance. We would not be here without the Holy Spirit.” As believers we have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit and it is our responsibility to speak the Word of God boldly. In writing about the early church Luke said, “After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly” (Acts 4:31 NIV).


No comments: