May 07, 2018

Obey My Commands


I attended a Spring Dance Recital where the audience was given strict instructions, both in writing and through an announcement, “Absolutely no photos or videotaping.” I was irritated when a woman in the row in front of me and off to my right broke out her large camera and took snapshots of her little darling. She stayed long enough to watch her own daughter perform and then left the auditorium. However, the father of another child then came in and sat directly in front of me and pulled out his phone to video tape his child. Think of a dark movie theater where the person in front of you is on their phone playing games and the glare of the phone makes it impossible to watch the movie. After he taped two sessions with his phone camera held high enough to blocked my view I finally tapped him on the shoulder and reminded him of the rules and that those of us behind him could not see. Unabashed, he continued to record and replay his child’s performance on his cell phone while those around him strained to watch the production. All too often people of faith have a similar thought process. We know God’s commands, but we think they apply to others and not to us. Jesus said, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love” (John 15:9-10 NIV).


No comments: