March 27, 2008

For Someone Else

Some of my family members are ‘clippers’. In their prolific reading of newspapers, magazines and newsletters they’re always clipping an article or a tidbit of information to give to others. Now I know my family clippers mean well, but quite frankly, I’m not always interested in the things that they think I should read. Many believers do a similar thing when ordering sermon tapes or purchasing Christian books for others because they think their friends have a need to hear a particular message. Often these friends are backsliders or someone who’s not a Christian and we want to throw them a lifeline. Certainly spiritual messages have the potential to impact lives…if the recipient is willing to listen to it or to read it. So, how do you know when it’s OK to send Sunday’s sermon? If a friend asks you to send clippings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Thank you. I love my brothers and sisters, and I love hearing what they deem interesting. And I don’t mind being handed a short article, or an excerpted paragraph. But I hate being handed a 5000 word thesis. It isn’t that my interest in what my neighbor thinks and feels decreases as the clipping size increases, it is just that reading all those words takes time. And I am not a fast reader. So, I am handed a dilemma with the long clipping. I have to find a way to be as close to honest as possible while my beloved beams with pride and excitement like a puppy dog at the door.