March 07, 2008

Slander

Every once in a while I come across someone who claims to be Christian, but there is something missing. On the political landscape Gov. Huckabee’s speeches and interviews leave me with no doubt that he has a personal relationship with the Lord. However, other politicians seem to show just enough of a religious side to be acceptable to the conservative voter. Almost apologetically they down play their worship attendance and spiritual life. Speaking to the church in Smyrna Jesus said, “…I know the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.” (Rev 2:9b NIV) Slander is a pretty strong word. I hadn’t considered the possibility that a person’s false claim to Christianity could constitute slander.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I abandoned Huckabee when it surfaced that he had the makings of a “Willie Horton” issue hidden under his carpet. The liberal media would have made hay with that through the whole general election process, and I assure you, they would have successfully yanked his carpet out from under him long before November 4. Then watching Huckabee and McCain work together in sharing up Romney’s air left me seeing more politician in Huckabee than I could see Baptist-preacher. But truthfully, that is what governors and representatives and senators and presidents are, people, politicians. Although I do not admire Huckabee, I recognize his calling out to the Lord. It is as flawed as mine. But I really did see more Christian character in Romney. And although I could hug W. with one arm for being a Christian, I could bop him on the head with the other for being a globalist. I am looking for a good person with clear, simple, down to the basics thinking who is not afraid to stand up for what is empirically true. An understanding of spiritual truth would be a plus for certain, but this country is not a church. Simply honest folks in government would really be a breathe of fresh air for now.

Sad for the Country

Steve Corey

Anonymous said...

P.S
-----Thank God we have some one running, uncontested, for city counsel who both sees clearly and simply as well as she does with humble spiritual understanding. Thank you for offering us your time, Gail.