March 19, 2008

Hearing the Message

Democratic presidential candidate Obama has said that while he was in the pew he hadn’t personally heard his pastor’s (Rev. Wright) inflammatory sermons. Setting aside the political spin and looking at this in the church arena, what a blow to a pastor’s ego. Whether it’s someone of Obama’s stature and education, or a high school drop-out, can you imagine having someone say they’ve listened to you preach for 20 years and never heard the message? Even the Ninevites, who heard Jonah preach for only three days, didn’t have any trouble understanding the spiritual message…much to Jonah’s chagrin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----If Senator Obama had not crossed his integrity off his own asset sheet by outright lying about ever hearing or knowing Wright‘s ideas, I would agree with you. But I cannot. The circumstance itself is not real. He absolutely knew what was spewing from the mouth of his imposter pastor. His missing lapel pin spoke its truth no matter how hard his lefty pals defended its absence. So also the flap about the uncovered heart during the pledge of elegance. Agreed, these are trivia, but so is trace evidence at a crime scene. But the big smoker was Michelle’s gaff a few weeks ago, “Today, for the first time, I can be proud of America…” I knew there was something behind that statement the first time I heard it. Could you imagine me saying before and audience of any size, “Today, for the first time I can be proud of my wife?” Of my daughters? Of my dad? I can understand that statement being dropped in a casual conversation where ad-lib is the nature of the event. This was no ad-lib situation. She was not called up from the blue to speak off the top of her head to a hoard. Every thought of a speech like that is carefully considered. And like red lines are not seen through red lenses, that thought was missed by the Obamas’ minds poured for twenty years through the Wright filter. America had better think this one over carefully. Obama has proved himself to be not only willing to openly lie, but also to even support Wright in his spewing of such racist hatred.

Steve Corey