March 11, 2008

What's the Need

I recently learned that I may have an opportunity to visit with a young Jehovah Witness who is being oppressed by her family and her church. Wanting to be prepared when she called I re-read some books on cults and the teachings of the JW’s. I hoped that I might be a listening ear, an example of Christian concern…and show her that there is an exit door to her church. Giving me an update, our mutual acquaintance said, “I gave her your phone number and she seemed relieved. She has no one to talk to; her family and church have told her that she and her children are going to hell. Before when she’s talked to anyone outside her church they just try to get her to change churches.” God does have a way of bursting my ‘I know what you need’ bubble. OK, so how about this strategy. I’ll give her a crash course on what the Bible says about judging one another’s salvation…she’ll just have to find the exit door by herself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I had trouble approaching people about either the Lord or serious scriptural error until I stopped thinking of them as targets: hits, or misses. It became easier when I began thinking of them as gardens, more or less developed. I could then understand the extent of my responsibility as limited by how much the gate is open to me, how much time I am welcome to spend there, and how much tinkering with the garden tools I am allowed. If none of that is allowed, then I can simply throw a handful of seed over the fence when passing by. Then it is their responsibility, entirely.

Steve Corey