March 25, 2008

Tolerant

I found Obama’s speech addressing the controversy surrounding the Rev. Wright interesting. According to Obama, people should not be surprised when a political view occasionally finds its voice on Sunday mornings in the pulpit. He noted that we’ve all heard pastors, priests and rabbis say things from the pulpit that we strongly disagree with. Sadly, Obama’s assessment is true. We’d all like to think that our pastor isn’t as bad as some other pastors, but a preacher doesn’t have to speak as vilely as the Rev. Wright to be just as guilty of misusing the pulpit. On a few occasions I’ve exited the auditorium when I thought the preacher’s message was off base. I’m sure my mini-protest was lost on those around me. They probably thought I was just going for a drink of water or to the restroom. More often than not though, I remained seated in the pew wondering why the elders were tolerating the errors…or perhaps they weren’t detecting them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Maybe it is a little difficult to determine where the preacher’s responsibility to match the truth of the Word with the reality of life ends. Most people think it must end at the beginning of any political topic. But I offer that is precisely the poison sapping the life from our culture. Truth does not end at the beginning of any topic. In fact, the truth is sorely needed in discussion of all topics. Therefore, I believe the expectation of receiving politically free messages from the pulpit is the pathway tyranny will easily use to escape with our freedom.
-----I conclude the real question is not when to steer the message from politics, but are the political propositions preached actually formulated from the Word of God. Rather than being born from the Word, most political issues are brought to the Word in search of support. Bias is easy and slimy, and few can detect it in even its less subtle forms. The ability to think through a set of circumstances and conclude, without bias, their proper relationship to the concepts taught in the Bible takes very much effort and training to develop. More effort than I detect being given it by most people, especially by preachers.
-----This is where I have to reluctantly join with your sentiments against political overtures made from the pulpit. I think public discussion of political truth is necessary for a free and godly society to remain free and godly under an upright government. But the same careless, egotistical party spirit that keeps Baptists Baptists, Methodists Methodists, Episcopalians Episcopalians, etc. etc. makes me shudder when it picks up the delicate, intellectual recipes for healthy, prosperous politics. I would rather preachers entirely abandon their responsibility to speak of political issues, and that from the truth, than to hear them pour forth their bias soaked swill.

God help us all.
Go forth and speak the truth.
Steve Corey